Monday, April 30, 2012

Week 7

This week has been a crazy one filled with lots of "golden experiences". (new missionary's are referred to as Golden's). The first night I was in Germany I had the opportunity to go street contacting, IT WAS AWESOME! I was paired up with a Sis. Newkomm who is from the Alps. As we were walking down the street we saw this older man running, I jokingly told Sis Newkomm that I think we should run after him, in my mind thinking how ridicules that would be.Well she thought it was a grand idea, so as he ran by us we just started running with him all while explaining that we are from the Church of Jesus Christ and we are talking to men about God. He went with the idea and while running we started explaining what we believe in. After about 10 minutes of running with this man while giving him the first lesson Sis Newkomm pulls a book of Mormon out of her bag, mind you still while running, and starts to use the pictures in the front to explain what the Book of Mormon is about. Ya it totally was like something out of one of those super cheesy LDS films. To sisters in skirts, with grandma shoes, explaining the book of Mormon through pictures, all while after jumping a man on his walk! However the more we taught about the book of Mormon the slower his peace became until finally he stopped running. As we walked back to this mans apartment complex with him, wrapping up the first lesson, the spirit was SO strong. By the time we reached his apartment, we had him committed to coming to church, reading a chapter in the Book of Mormon, and a time for a return appointment. YEP IT WAS AMAZING!
 
Another golden moment I had was a little less inspiring. The BYU symphony will be in our area this week to put on a concert, and we plan on using the concert to pump up the work in the area so we have been passing out flayers all over the town. As we were standing outside the train station one evening passing out these flayers and contacting this lady looks like she really wanted to talk to us, (That was my first mistake, non members NEVER just want to talk to missionary's) so I walked over to her. In my broken German I explained that we were from the Church of Jesus Chris and that we were talking to people about God. As I was talking my Companion Sis Szvoboda came up next to me. As I finished she whispered in English (the language we use when we don't want people to understand us) that this lady was a GOLDEN...just what a new missionary wants to hear, (2nd mistake NOT listening to the person I was talking to). So I jumped on it and started explaining that we believe that God is our loving Heavenly Father, and that he loves us, the German lines I was practicing that day. Well long story short, this lady's name is Ola...she is the wife of our branch mission leader, and 2nd counsellor in the branch presidency. Yep I felt like a doof! But it ended up working out. As Oly explained here side of the story she told me that she was really needing to feel that God loved her that day, and expressed with tears in her eyes how my crazy little golden mistake was really an answer to prayer....God does work in mysteries ways! Next time I just prayer it won't be so embarrassing!
 
Missionary work is just so much fun, and is exactly what I expected it to be. Lots of long days, sore feet, a companion that you  feel fills in all of your weaknesses and make you stronger, and an incredible amount of the spirit. I am loving being out of the MTC and in the field. The country is SO beautiful, I am in the Town of Frankfurt Oder. The people here are amazingly....German. They are all super blunt, which I love. They will tell you exactly how they feel, which most of the time I can't understand, but I like it anyways. And the food is to die for. The Branch here is so strong and reminds me a lot of the one in Moab. The Branch presidents family is a lot like the Hazellets just a little older, and no Eli. My apartment is super sweet and has a great view of other houses out one side, and a tall row of really green bushes on the other. Over all it has been really cool.
 
I love being here! I really am starting to love the blunt matter of fact way of the German people. I am so thankful for the opportunity I have to be on a mission, there is no other place I would rather be, because I KNOW this is where the lord wants me.
 
Until next week. Sis Kim Bohne



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment